Sunday, August 7, 2011

Knowledge, where does it come from?

I had a group of my more senior charges at my home over the weekend, we were going over some work on Chum Kiu and Gwoh Sau {crossing Hands, trapping}, it is really easy to teach intelligent people that actually want to learn, somewhere in the middle of the Day I suddenly thought to myself "how and when did I amass this knowledge"? I have not had much guidance since my Sifu passed away 3 years ago but I have moved forward and improved quite noticeably, and I feel confident in saying this, so it must at least be almost true.
Sometimes when you keep trying to learn new things you just loose some of the old things, I doubt that I know anymore today than I did the last time I spoke to my Sifu, but by continually trying to pass on his teaching through my own teaching I am beginning to understand it and make it my own, I still have a great deal to learn I know that, but I am happy with where my knowledge is at this time.
After my Sifu's passing there was a lot of negative talk about us not being given all the relevant information, in hindsight my Sifu was very frugal with information but if you asked a question he would answer it, happily I asked lots of questions, recently my Sifu's own Sifu had his book translated into English, I awaited its arrival with great excitement, I have read it a few times already and there is nothing in it that I was not told at least once by my Sifu, this is a cause of great Joy to me.  Even today when I make new connections, find new ways to understand my Wing Chun it is all based on the seed that my Sifu planted, and always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment